Friday, April 29, 2011

And the drama continues

I haven't updated in awhile, but that's because there has been nothing to update on. I have learned through this process that I need patience, which is one thing I just don't have. I want something to happen, when I want it to happen, and if it doesn't I go into a panic. This needs to change for Italy, everything there is more of a go with the flow type of lifestyle, and I am definitely not used to that.


It is the last week of classes here in Colorado, and next week is finals week. I am definitely ready for this semester to be over. This semester has been the most challenging of my college career. My 13 page research paper (for my most difficult class) has been submitted, and I need to begin work on another 10-15 page paper due on Thursday. I'm just praying to make it through this class.


Back to Italy, I will say the most frustrating thing about this experience has been wire transfers so far. With the apartment and tuition, it's been a headache. I still have not been able to successfully complete a wire transfer for my apartment. Luckily, I am not the only one who has had trouble with this. Many different banks have been attempted, and all have been unsuccessful except for one. The lady, Laura, going to Perugia and Bergamo was able to complete hers, but no one else has been able to. So, now, my Professor is going to have it done through the school because there have been so many problems with all 14 of us trying to individually doing it.


Now...Perugia. I am already not excited to attend this school because of the problems I have had so far. I leave in 18 days, and I still do not have a visa. Why? Perugia refused to send my acceptance letter before they received the wire transfer. Understandable, too bad my University sent the money on the 12th, and as of the 28th they were saying they still hadn't received it. In Italy, EVERYTHING shuts down for Easter. Everything. The University was closed until Wednesday, and the Italian consulate was closed until Tuesday.


The Consulate called me on Wednesday and said they had received all of my necessary documents and were just waiting on my letter from Perugia to send me my visa. I had a friend of mine that lives in Milan call the University in Perugia for me, and the lady I needed to speak with was out of the office until Thursday. Just my luck, when my friend contacted her on Thursday, she claimed the money still hadn't arrived! I was shocked, I immediately emailed my Professor, who was also shocked, and he emailed the lady at the embassy and explained the urgency of my situation, as well as the fact that the money was sent 2 weeks prior. On Friday, I received word that the University in Perugia had faxed my letter to Chicago, so now I just wait for Chicago to contact me!


I leave next Sunday to go on vacation with my grandparents, so I hope I can receive my visa before then. When the consulate called me on Wednesday, I asked them if they thought I would have my passport back in time, and they said as long as they received my letter from Perugia, they would. So, I am trying not to stress out...for now at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment