The professor that is coordinating my study abroad trip recommended that I start a blog to document/share my experiences. I've never been much of a blogger, but I figure it will be a great way for me to look back and remember things later, or maybe even provide help for someone else.
I plan on studying abroad in Italy for 6 months. I'm going to be studying at the Università per Stranieri di Perguia (University for Foreigners) in Perugia Italy from July 1st, 2011 until August 31, 2011. I will then move on to the Università degli studi di Bergamo in Bergamo Italy until the semester ends in December.
Thankfully, I don't have to take finals in Italy since their semesters do not correspond with America's and I need to be back for the Spring semester that begins in January to graduate in April.
The one thing you have to know about Italy, is there is no rush for anything, ever. The Italian people are more of a go with the flow type of people and everything is really laid back. It's almost impossible to get an e-mail response from someone and everything seems to go painfully slow. Luckily, some of my best friends live in Bergamo, so I've made good contacts that way.
The trouble so far has been with finances. Isn't it always? In order to get a student visa for Italy you must have $1,000 in the bank for every month that you will be there. For me (I arrive in June and leave in January) that's $8,000. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't know many college students with that much money in their bank account. The Italian consulate also doesn't accept financial aid (grants, loans, scholarships, etc) as proof of that money, so you literally have to have the money into your account before you apply for the visa. Luckily, my mom was able to provide me with her bank statements to meet that requirement - I hope anyway. My visa appointment is on Tuesday!
The next issue has actually been wiring money. My Italian professor/trip coordinator has been extremely helpful and found me an apartment in Perugia. I will be living with a 65 year old Italian woman who doesn't speak any English. I know that seems crazy a 21 year old American student living with a 65 year old Italian woman, but it's exactly what I wanted. Okay, so maybe when I was thinking about a place to stay, I didn't picture living with a woman who is older than my grandparents, but the fact that she doesn't speak any English excites me. I think living with other students, you fall back on speaking English and I'd much rather immerse myself in the Italian culture.
The problem has been wiring the money for the deposit from a US bank to the Italian bank. It literally has been a nightmare so far. I first tried using the Federal Credit Union I've been a member with since birth, but they don't wire money internationally that isn't a US account. I'm sure it makes sense to someone, but since they were informing my mother of all of this (she's in Florida with the bank, and I'm in Colorado where the school is free) I'm not sure exactly what explanation they gave my mom other than they couldn't do it. Next, I went to Wells Fargo. Absolute nightmare. I went in the first time and they told me that I didn't have enough information to complete the transfer after sitting there with them for 30 minutes giving them all of the information I did have. Then the woman completing the application said she wasn't aware that it needed to be done electronically (seriously) and I would have to come back the next day with more information and she would do it electronically. Needless to say, I didn't go back to here. I emailed my professor and he said I should have all of the information I needed (I have the bank account number, routing number, name of the bank, addresses and who it was going to), apparently this still isn't good enough for Wells Fargo because I was told once again that I didn't have the proper information. I met with my professor who confirmed with the housing agency that all information was correct, so I'm going to try once more and see how that goes. Maybe I'll wait a few days and see if the Euro drops.
For Bergamo, they don't even release the application for housing until June 30th (we move in September 1st) and it's based on a first come, first serve basis. I really want a single room, call me crazy, but I don't want to share a small, Italian bedroom with someone I barely know for 4 months.
I have a meeting in Denver Tuesday with a woman who used to work for the Italian consulate to send my application off and hopefully have it back in time since the US government is currently facing a shut down. I will update on my experience with the visa after my meeting Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment